top of page

Back to list of resources



The official "Application for Naturalization" is Form N-400. However, this form only applies for immigrants seeking citizenship who are 18 years old or older. For children under 18, the "Application for Certificate of Citizenship" (Form N-600) or the “Application for Citizenship and Issuance of a Certificate under Section 322” (Form N-600K) should be used. Below is a brief overview of eligibility requirements for those using the N-400 form. For a detailed explanation of the differences between forms N-600 and N-600K, visit the "Required Paperwork" page.


Were you born in the United States or a territory of the United States?

If yes, you may already be a U.S. citizen.


Is at least one of your parents a U.S. citizen?

If yes, refer to Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship or Form N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate for more information. If you have a U.S. citizen parent who is a U.S. citizen by either birth or naturalization you may already be a citizen or may be able to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship based on their citizenship.

If neither applies:

Read Form N-400, Instructions for Application for Naturalization, available at to learn more about naturalization and eligibility requirements.


Visit the Citizenship Resource Center at for information on the naturalization test and available study materials.

For further assistance with eligibility:

Connect with a Naturalize Charlotte member organization.

Did you know? It may be helpful to keep your plane ticket stubs (both leaving and returning to the United States) since the application for citizenship may require you to document all international travel over the past 3-5 years.




The next step is to get started on the required paperwork. For a detailed explanation of the differences between forms N-600 and N-600K and access to all three forms, visit the "Required Paperwork" page.

bottom of page